1. Hairpin curve in Sam Jackson Park Rd -- at Marquam St
2. House at end of Sherwood Dr
3. Apartment complex on north edge plateau north of Gibbs
4. Shriner's Hospital, OHSU
The above map is accurate. The photograph was taken from an aircraft flying over I-5, about a half mile east of Shriner's Hospital building (4), looking west up Marquam Gulch. (LARGER MAP)
The elevation at 1 is about 250'. The elevation at 3 is about 700'.
More pictures of this area can be found on this site HERE. The top picture is just to the south of OHSU, where the Lowell to Gains (paper) streets are located. The second picture is the hill with VA (left) and OHSU (right) -- the pedestrian bridge connects the two.
Comparison of map with vertical aerial
Another erroneous map
The correct map superimposed over the erroneous map
This stereoscopic pair of photos is for viewing with eyes crossed
John Donner: b. 1790 in North Carolina.
Moved to Oregon in 1850
Brother of George Donner of the ill-fated Donner Party at Donner Pass
Philip A. Marquam: b. 1823 in Maryland.
Law school, Bloomington, Ind.
Moved to California (Yolo Co.--elected judge) with the gold rush in 1849,
and to Portland, Oregon in 1851.
"Laid out the foundations of nearly all the public works...public highways."
Henry Villard: b. (Hilgard), 1835 Bavaria
July 1874, was asked by bankers in Germany to investigate investments in Oregon.
Ben Holladay's RR properties faced bankrupcy in 1876; Villard bought them June 13, 1879.
...as part of ORNC...Villard was in competition with NY financiers Gould and Morgan to shape RR's.
Villard bested them: took controlling interest in Northern Pacific RR in June 1881.
d. 1900, N.Y.
July 2004We believe we have discovered, in the "Neighborhood History" section of a planning document for Portland's neighborhoods, who actually platted those impossible streets in Marquam Gulch:
On Oct. 30, 1857, Phillip Marquam bought the entire Donner Land Grant of 298.6 acres, for $2500.00. Marquam did little with his land until the 1880's when he decided to have it platted for development. He hired the Marshall brothers for their first surveying job. The area chosen was a little island of relatively flat area on top of a ridge. The Marshalls divided the land into 200 foot square blocks. Their intention was to follow the example of Downtown Portland's square grid. Today this platted grid remains, existing without any relation to the steep terrain of the area. Most of the area's streets are 'paper streets,' having never been constructed; they are virtually impossible to build.
Adapted from the frontispiece of The Shaping of a City
We don't know the date. The cable car line is there, and that's a clue. (Early 1900's?)
The red arrow tip is approximately where South Hospital, OHSU is located now.